A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Returning from Overseas 從海外回來

I was just reading an article about Australians and Americans returning from overseas and having a hard time finding a job and I suspect readjusting to life in their home countries. They say that return culture shock is harder than culture shock going overseas 不同文化的衝擊比較大 and in no area is this truer than in finding a job. I remember when I returned from my first stint overseas in Taiwan 第一次從台灣回來, potential employers in the United States viewed it as a hole in my resume at best. Me: “Look at this experience I have in positions of responsibility outside of the United States.” Employer reply: “So, you did nothing for this part of your life.” At worst, they pigeon-hole by saying “I’m sorry, but we don’t have a position for those who have experience overseas” even though I had enough experience for a position and didn’t ask for anything international.

So, what is the solution? 怎麼解決這個問題? One solution is to work for a company from the country where you lived. American employers may be ignorant or envious of your cross-cultural communication skills and experience, but employers from that country appreciate them. I worked for a Chinese company in the United States for quite a while and learned a lot. The next, and most commonly-applied solution, is to go to graduate school 一回國就去念研究所. I have many friends who do that immediately upon return to the United States. It kick starts one into a career track and allows contact with a better class of employer who is more likely to appreciate expatriate experience. I did that and now have a career where I live overseas part of the year and in the United States part of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home