A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Monday, November 21, 2005


Music

Reading this blog, I'll bet you thought I didn't know much about music, did you? Well actually you're right, but I'll share a few thoughts with you.

I think it is too early to be hearing Christmas music in these subtropical climes. I was walking down the street a few days ago, it was a bright sunny day in the mid-80s, when I heard some store blaring music about doing something in a "winter wonderland!" "playing in the snow" and just like a "Currier and Ives" painting. The first Christmas didn't even take place in a snowy climate and Currier and Ives were certainly not around! At least wait until December so we can enjoy one holiday at a time. Having gotten rant out, I'll share something deep, down and personal.

I can sing but for some reason I never learned how to read notes 音符 beyond say...Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge. I used to be a valued member of a Chinese language choral group in a church. Our song leader was great, and still is an inspiring guy. I could read all of the Chinese characters to sing the 1st time I saw them and I have a good voice but I could never follow the notes. Maybe it was just punishment for being too lazy to practice when I was younger. I can still remember my music teacher saying to me, "you see these white hairs? Do you know why they are here? Because you don't practice!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home