A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Monday, November 07, 2005


Sunlight Map

Check out this great web site http://www.die.net/earth/, a world sunlight map. It shows sunlight, (and weather, geography, everything else) for everyplace in the world at a particular time.

As a family, we love travelling to and living in different places. Some things I have learned. For some reason travelling East across the Pacific is more difficult for jet lag 時差 than the other direction. After a good night's sleep, we are usually ready to go when we arrive in East Asia, but it takes a few days to get adjusted when we come back the other way across the Pacific. When we came back this time, everyone except for me slept until 4:00 pm the next day and can you guess how late they stayed up that evening?

I once went to a job interview in Northern Canada and that's yet another time issue. That's not just Canada, but Northern Canada. In summer, it is light until 11:00 pm at night. In the winter, there is so little light there that workers have to go to these indoor faux tropics places to prevent from getting depressed. This picture, complete with endless falling snow and just wolves howling outside for neighbors, did not appeal to my wife who was raised in tropical climes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Hey, I wanted you to know that I have been keeping up with your blog since you posted on mine. I find it really interesting, and the posts are always so snappy that I read them as soon as my computer says they are up.

Very cool.

And also, I like my new word 時差! I like it because they are both words I already know, so its an easy learn :).

4:37 AM  
Blogger thoughtfire said...

Thanks.

That the great thing about the Chinese language! It's easy to learn new words. Regarding that, in a couple of weeks Americans will be readying their fire chickens 火 雞(turkeys) but we'll be having our hot pot 火鍋.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home