A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Friday, November 11, 2005


感恩節 Episode 1

We had our first of three or four Thanksgiving dinners tonight. It's early, but I think the timing was great. It was a holiday and so most people had time off today. Plus, as 'early birds' in buying turkeys, we missed the last minute holiday crunch. Our international group had a traditional American thanksgiving dinner with turkey, stuffing, cranberries, aloo paratha and bulgogi. This was the first time in a long while that I had regular American food.

We also participated in the American tradition of letting others know what we were thankful about in the past year. As the only American at my table, I realized that everyone else was extremely thankful for their parents. I, on the other hand, had been thinking more along the lines of that traffic ticket I avoided a couple of weeks ago. By American standards I treat my parents well, but as my wife has reminded me, I realize I still have a long way to go.

There were quite a few new people there and many others I have known for a while. One of the new visitors said she was hoping for a Eurasian baby like ours (a fashion statement?) who was snoring on my lap...a bold and funny person who I hope returns.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home