A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Life as an Expatriate 寓居國外者

I read an thoughtful if moody article on another blog about life as an expatriate the other day. It made me think about what it means to be an expat and why people do it. It also made me think about my own life of foreign roamings and separation from my homeland.

The article by a man who was a professor teaching overseas, described an acquaintance (another expat) who called him to say goodbye. He was sick, tired and alone. According to the author, he had been away from his home for more than 20 years, long enough for people to move away, die or not care about his existence. He himself was now ready to fade out of existence.

I don't agree with this negative view 悲觀的看法of expat life, which I would call the 'exile' life seemingly favored by literary types. Some of these people choose the expat life in cultures that are far distant from their home countries because they want the freedom that isolation brings.

If someone is away from their home for a long time, then they should adjust to their surroundings 適應環境and make it their new home....if they want to be happy. Expat life can be refreshing, stimulating and exciting. At the same time, expats can also make friends, establish a family and learn the language of their new home if it is different. That's what I have done.

I remember my wife and I attending nightly sessions on parenting concerns at a neighborhood church in Taipei where our children were attending summer school 暑期班. We had a great time sharing stories with other parents, and hearing about their hopes and concerns. One mother had just come back from 5 years in Ghana and she was concerned about her children's readjustment to local schools. We learned a lot, but discovered that as parents we also shared a lot of similarities as well.

(These flowers in the photos are commonly planted on hillsides around here...and are a good challenge for my zoom lens.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Just so you know, I have read every post, around the day it came out, since you posted on my blog some many months ago.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could link to that blog you mention? I love to follow connections in the blog o sphere and the article sounded interesting.

7:45 AM  
Blogger thoughtfire said...

Thanks for the appreciative comments. I know I get a lot of traffic here, but I often don't know the reason why.

Here's the link: http://www.onemanbandwidth.com/wordpress/?p=387

I'll hyperlink it in my post as well. Lonnie B. Hodge is a good writer, which makes sense since he's a writer. He's a little pessimistic for my taste, but to his credit he's not hypercritical of his new home as some expats are wont to be.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Lonnie said...

Greeetings from the mainland...

I saw your link on Technorati and stopped by...I like your blog...

I took a long look at my postings after your comment about pessimism...It caught me a bit off gauard as I have always thought of myself as pretty optimistic...

I have much to be thankful for: a beautiful, loving, loyal wife and a Chinese family I adore; I have the first professorship ever awarded to an outsider at my school and I teach an amazing group of rural kids who face, and conquer, unreal challenges.

My pessimism must be coming from the situation my wife and I are now facing together: She has stage 3A Breast Cancer and the prognosis is not good. We have no health insurance and have paid thousands for her surgery and chemotherapy..She now needs a drug that will cost 40-60,000 USD wholesale if she is to have a fair shot at medical healing....It is unlikely to happen...I have taken this far garder than has Yue...She is an exemplary human...

Log a few prayers for us...And I will keep the writing flowing and see what I can do about perking up a bit...

En Agape


Lon

6:03 AM  
Blogger thoughtfire said...

Oh, I didn't know Yue was your wife. That certainly puts things in perspective. I'm sorry to hear that. I guess you do have a good reason to be down...will definitely keep that in prayer. And enjoy continuing to read your blog.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home