A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Thursday, March 09, 2006


All in a Father’s and Daughter’s Day 爸爸與女兒的一天

A story of two activities. I took my daughter first to meet other students in the park. You can see in the 1st photo here a friend she met who has just moved here from far away. They are also a Chinese and American cross-cultural family like ourselves but they have lived in a very different environment. They live in really nice temporary housing which we visited, but they are hoping to settle down sometime soon. She and her brother are really well behaved and nice children, easily able to communicate both with others their age and adults. That is an important part of why time why I feel time parents spend with children is important.

Some time later, I also took my daughter to Chinese ballet school 芭蕾舞班. It is a really strict school很嚴格, which is good for her. I was talking with a man who seems to be like the Chinese scholars of the olden days that used to write poetry in the moonlight on the lake over rice wine. He was talking to me about his experience catching crabs where he lived last, when I noticed a whole line of heads, the mothers who sit in the front turned around to listen intently on this seafood tale. Apparently, it was fairly easy to catch lots of crabs and then they would steam them up and eat them on the waterfront near where they lived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home