A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Thursday, March 23, 2006


Reasons For Cross-Cultural Marriages 為什麼有異國婚姻?

Of course this is entirely my opinion and from my observations, but I feel as if there are 2 major types of reasons we can see out there for cross-cultural marriages. The first, and not-so-fun reason, is just circumstance. If you put men and women together in the same place at the same time there are going to be romances and marriages, regardless of the race or cultural background. The army is a good example. The other day, I saw this cartoon漫畫 book and comic book rental store as I was walking by on a breezy evening. I stopped in to see an ex-serviceman who spent many years in Okinawa and met his wife there. It was purely circumstance. He was posted there outside of the U.S. where he met his wife. They even looked similar, but I’ll leave it at that. (This photo doesn't really have much to do with this topic but I took it today's warm weather. It's a nice contrast like these relationships, bright yellow lemons with snowy mountains in the background.)

Another type of cross-couples meet because they are looking for something in the other person that they don’t find in their own culture. A loud, outgoing Japanese 外向的日本人 might look for an Italian to marry. A quiet Italian 内向的意大利人 might also look for a Japanese to marry. And when the two of them do marry, it is quite a surprise! Or, an American might marry a Chinese looking for good food and the Chinese might marry her looking for fast food. What fun these arrangements can be! In our case, my wife was a little scared of the idea of dating an American when she first met me, oh yes I did promise to tell you the story of how we met which I now have down on my ‘to do’ list, but she ended up marrying someone who was interested in her culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home