A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Banana Flower, but Sorry No Bananas 有花, 可是沒有香蕉

You see this banana flower? It opened up wide so I could get a good photo of the stamen 雄蕊 here, but there have been no bananas. At least I think it is a banana, maybe some of you out there can correct me on this. We didn’t plant this tree, it has been here since I arrived, so I don’t know for sure if it really is a banana 可能不是香蕉. Our policy, well my policy is, if I can’t eat it…don’t plant it. To be honest though, bananas are a little too much hassle for me 可能是我太懶惰種香蕉. I am too lazy to keep hacking them down each fall to allow the new shoots to come up in spring so they can bear fruit, though if I do I am going to plant the blue colored ice-cream banana. It really does taste like ice cream 味道真的像冰淇淋!

Apparently one of our friends has the same policy with plants. We visited for their daughter’s birthday party and discovered their parents, from Anhui province 安徽省 in China, have planted cabbages and veggies all over the front and side yards. Quite good ones I might add since we stewed the cabbage they gave us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home