A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Thursday, November 02, 2006


Tai Shan Hot Spring 台山溫泉

I have taken photos in all sorts of conditions with my weather-sealed Zuiko lens but humidity is tough 如果很潮濕, 攝影比較辛苦. We went out to this hot springs in Tai Shan and as you can see the humidity was quite a challenge. It made a nice photo in this lavender hot springs pool.

There were 40 different pools 水池 altogether and each pool had a slightly different set of temperature and or herbs or minerals. The temperature differences were natural but the medicinal herbs were placed in there. My favorite whenever I visit hot springs, though, is the large pool. They are always warm but not hot. I just don’t like swimming in cold water 不喜歡冷水 so it’s fun swimming in these large hot springs pools late at night. There are also the hot rocks that as you can see are nice to lie down on to dry out.

We also went other places, like this coastal spot and a small village near the hot springs where we had the Tai Shan台山 dish 黃鱔飯 or yellow eel rice. I reluctantly went white water rafting 漂流, for some reason popular on tours right now, and as you can see I didn’t even kill myself in the process. We started in a bus traveling to the top of a hill in a downpour 傾盆大雨 that signaled the beginning of a large storm, traveling like prisoners to the POW camp…well, maybe more like kids to a summer camp but since I am more risk averse to death and injury I’ll set the tone here. We were with a large group of college students 大學生 and a family from Korea 還有一個從韓國來的家庭. I figured if they could do it, I could as well. My older son and I were in one boat. We went down one at a time being pushed out of tough spots by guides along the way. One time we were trapped in a whirlpool with the guide’s boat before being smashed out by a third boat with the heavy set kid who liked to use his helmet as a water gun. Almost 20 rapids and 3 serious water fights later, we arrived at calm waters where we rafted our way to 2nd place!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home