A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006



Small Painters 小畫家

Artwork has always been something I can appreciate but never really been able to do 一點都不會畫畫. For the most part, I cannot draw anything more complicated than stick figures. I did a self portrait a while ago for a class, but thankfully that has been long since lost….I think. On the other hand, I can appreciate art. Mostly, our children have been taught art by a teacher at a local art studio 畫廊的老師 or by my wife’s father.

These two pieces of artwork are from different artists. The top one is a spontaneous work done by our 3 year old son 三歲的兒子. You can see it is quite accurate for his age and done without any help.

The second is a self portrait 自畫像 our daughter completed not long ago as part of a home school class assignment. It does look like her physically but I can especially see her in the smile. That is definitely her smile. At least it is done on a better background than her earlier artwork. One night when my daughter was 4 I came home to find that she had painted a picture of herself and our family on the wall. She looked like a beautiful girl. Her brother looked like a Mr. Potato Head 馬鈴薯頭 and my wife and I looked a little like pigs 有一點像豬頭.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home