A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006


Nightscapes: Evening in China 夜景

The beauty of the night. I admit that I am a night person 夜貓子. I firmly believe that if man had been meant to see the sunrise it would have been made later in the day. There is something about the cool and quiet of the evening that makes it a great time for exploration, quiet contemplation or prayer.

This first photo is of our dinner table last night. There was a blackout 停電 and so we lit whatever candles 蠟燭 were handy. The pumpkin one 南瓜的 was from my parents and the others were from a Christmas crafts faire held at our previous church where our children helped make candles手造的. Turning the lights out made for an intimate time around the table dipping bread into our beef and daikon 白蘿蔔stew.

This other photo is of a night landscape in China, the silver and gold pagoda 塔, near the center of Guilin. There is something fun about night landscapes in China and throughout most of the Far East. Whether it is neon or night markets 夜市, there is a reason to walk around after dark to see what is down the next street or path. It makes me want to explore on foot. I usually feel fairly safe 比較安全 or at least not as if I am taking my life in my hands as I might in some places in the world after dark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home