A Cross-Cultural Family 跨文化的家庭

The adventures of an American / Chinese, Chinese-speaking family.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

小傢伙

Well, it finally happened. We got kicked out of a place for bad behavior and you can see the culprit in the photo above.

團圓 Meeting Classmates

I always try to avoid reunion-type activities but I took the bait this weekend to meet some former classmates 同學 in my profession. It gave me a strange combination of anxiety and sentimental emotions over the weekend as I met some of my classmates from former years. In fact, they came from all over the world. We naturally could compare and see how well or dismally we were all doing. Most people fit into one of 3 categories. Some were successful in personal life, but mediocre in professional life. These were people who did ok in their professional or else they wouldn't have been there, but they obviously put more time into their families or other outside activities.

Then there were those who had success in professional life but mediocre in personal life. These were the stars, often holding positions with a fair degree of power. But they didn't really have much to show in the way of a personal life, with no children and often still single.

There were also people who were very successful in both personal and professional life. They were also the ones who seemed the most relaxed and easy to talk to. Then there was the occasional complete failure like myself who kept everyone else happy by comparison...just kidding, I hope.

The one thing I noticed is that, almost without exception, we fell back into the same patterns of relationships we had before regardless of what had happened into the interim. So, if someone's office was messy before (not that mine would be)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home